The Superintendent has authority and responsibility for the physical construction of the project. The Superintendent shall supervise trade employees and plan and manage subcontractors in establishing construction means and methods, scheduling, coordination, workplace safety and harmony. The Project Manager has the authority and responsibility for all administrative decisions for the project. The Superintendent and Project Manager shall work in teamwork in order to achieve the project goals.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Implement and enforce Hathaway Dinwiddie Construction Company’s Injury and Illness Prevention Program, and OSHA, State and Federal Safety regulations with regards to Company employees and subcontractors.
- Responsible and accountable for planning, directing, and supervising the construction work on a project.
- Responsible and accountable to assure that project costs do not exceed the estimated costs for a project. Responsible and accountable for all costs for direct work, field job expenses (supervisory labor, equipment, materials), and field changes to subcontractors.
- Responsible and accountable to assure that the timely completion of the project (and all project milestones) in accordance with the Contract Project Schedule. Responsible for any required re-scheduling and the impacts thereof.
- Responsible and accountable for project quality control and Owner satisfaction with the finished project.
- Manage subcontractors in the scheduling, coordination, and performance of their contractual obligations.
- Supervise Company assistant superintendents, foremen, and craft labor. Develop Company field personnel for additional responsibilities.
- Read and understand the Project Estimate and subcontract scope of work.
- Develop look-ahead schedules and run subcontractor meetings.
- Prepare Daily Reports that accurately and completely reflect project work, activities, incidents, delays, and essential discussions. Prepare Daily Reports each day and submit to General Superintendent as required.
- Assign cost codes to labor and expenditures per Project Estimate per chart of accounts.
- Assist in resolving labor jurisdictional disputes.
- Assist Project Manager in developing monthly total project cost projections.
- Assure that project site, and Company facilities, equipment, and vehicles are properly maintained, kept clean, and present a professional appearance.
Supervise assistant superintendents, foremen, and craft labor as appropriate for project
Minimum of 10 years experience as a Superintendent on large and complex projects in excess of $15 million. Advanced understanding of Enterprise software cost reports, and budget/commitment differentiation.
Education and Experience
Educational and experience requirements include: Four years of technical training or equivalent experience. Minimum of eight years supervisory experience in similar facility construction technology, methods, equipment, tools and work procedures required. Advanced understanding of construction scheduling cost control, and ability to control and supervise large groups is essential.